This page covers the basic equipment of the Red Army man and NCO's during the Great Patriotic War (1941 - 1945). It includes foot wear, back packs, ammunition pouches, personnel items and more.

RIFLE AMMUNITION POUCHES

Troops were issued with leather ammo pouches which came in variations. They were issued up to the end of the Great patriotic War. The pouches could carry 10 rounds per pouch.

 

N.B. Schuster is our prefered supplier.

GAS MASK BAG

The gas mask bag was eventually issued to most troops but since the Germans did not use gas, the troops simply disposed of the gas mask and filter, instead, using the bag as a carrier of what ever the needed to eat, drink and kill with. There were a number of vatiation of the gas mask bag and Red Army troops made good use of the bag.

WATER CANTEEN

The water canteen container was originally issued in glass before being issued in aluminimum. It was covered in a canvas cover which fasterened around the belt, so was easliy accessed by the user.

ENTRENCHING TOOL

Not all Red Army troops were issued with entrenching tools but most were. As usual, uniforms and equipment was produced all over the Soviet Union.

MESHOK

The Myshock, Back pack, was a traditional back pack piece of equipment; it was easily made, of canvas, and was cheap to produce, and unlike previous versions and German back packs, involved no expensive parts, like leather.

AMEBAE CAMOUFLAGE SUIT

Most people believe that the German Waffen - SS were the first to use camouflage uniforms, but the Red Army were masters in camouflage long and after the German invasion of the Soviet Union.

PPSh 41 SUB MACHINE GUN

Red army troops were issued with the standard rifle, but many regiments were issued were issued the the PPSh 41 sub machine gum. This weapon was introduced to the answer of the German MP40 sub machine gun, and to the change in battle tactics, house to house battle tactics. The PPSh 41 could use a drum magazine with 71 rounds or a stick mag at 35 pounds. Firing rate was 900 rounds per minute.

MOSIN NAGANT RIFLE

This was the standard weapon for the infantry which had a magazine that held five 7.62 x 54 calibre round.

SVT 41 SEMI - AUTOMATIC RIFLE

The Russians were one of the first to develop and introduce a semi - auto rifle. It was issued to experienced troops such as NCO's and snipers.

DP 28 LIGHT MACHINE GUN

This was a section weapon which enabled the section to advance with covering fire. Machine gun crews usually consisted of 3 members, gunner, loader and carrier of drum mags and a commander/spotter. The mag held 47 rounds.

Back to Top