Man accused of attacking and forcibly restraining escorts at his home for three separate days
A Dublin man accused of violently attacking and holding three women in his home against their will in separate incidents has been denied bail.
Aaron Barwell, 26, of Coldcut Park in Clondalkin, was charged over the weekend after gardaí received complaints from three women who worked as escorts and had each been in his flat on different dates.
He is charged with three counts of forcible confinement and assault causing them harm on January 29, August 13 and Friday August 27. He is also accused of uttering death threats or causing serious injury to two of the women during the incidents. in August.
He did not respond when charged, Detective Sergeant Niamh Guckian told Dublin District Court Judge Conal Gibbons today.
The accused appeared via video link following the Covid-19 precautionary measures. He did not go to court.
Detective Sergeant Guckian opposed bail citing the seriousness of the case. Justice Gibbons issued an order restricting disclosure of the evidence that formed the basis of the bail objection.
Cross-examined by defense attorney Donough Molloy, Detective Sergeant Guckian agreed that his client had no prior convictions or arrest warrant history. She confirmed that the defendant told Gardaí that last weekend the third escort stole cocaine from him and that this caused an incident.
Mr. Molloy explained to him that after the first alleged incident, his office had contacted the investigating gardaí and given Mr. Barwell’s instructions. The second incident on August 13 came to light after he was arrested last weekend and subsequently held at Ronanstown train station, the court heard.
Pleading for bail, Mr Molloy asked the judge to note that his client had provided gardaí with an alternative account: the third incident was caused by a cocaine theft, and the others came after disputes over payment .
After the first incident, he had appointed a lawyer to liaise with gardaí. Mr Molloy said his client benefited from the presumption of innocence and his trial may not take place for two years.
He was not a flight risk and was willing to abide by the terms, the attorney said. The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) ordered a trial on indictment in a higher court.
Judge Gibbons refused to grant bail and remanded him in custody pending the preparation of an evidence book.
Mr Barwell, who did not address the court, will appear again in Cloverhill District Court on Friday.
The legal aid was granted after the judge noted that Mr Barwell had previously worked and earned a limited salary, but had become unemployed.