Army commander

New army commander investigated for “historic allegations” – Canada News


The new Commander of the Canadian Army, Lieutenant-General. Trevor Cadieu denies any wrongdoing after the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service revealed on Wednesday that the senior officer was under investigation for alleged sexual misconduct.

Cadieu was recently promoted and a ceremony to install him as head of the army was scheduled for September 7. A 29-year veteran of the military, Cadieu previously served in Bosnia and Afghanistan before recently providing analysis and advice to the Chief of Defense Staff.

But in a joint written statement on Wednesday, the Defense Department and the Canadian Armed Forces said Acting Defense Chief Gen. Wayne Eyre decided to suspend the ceremony two days ahead of schedule after being briefed that the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service was investigating “historical allegations” concerning Cadieu.

“The postponement of the ceremony is not an indictment of the Lieutenant General. Cadieu ”, indicates the unsigned press release. “However, in light of the ongoing investigation, it has been decided to allow justice to pursue the case in accordance with the rule of law.”

Defense Minister Harjit Sajjan spokesman Todd Lane said the minister learned of the investigation on the same day as Eyre.

The CFNIS confirmed to The Canadian Press that the investigation focused on an allegation of sexual misconduct, but would provide no further information.

In a separate written statement, sent by the Defense Ministry, Cadieu denied the allegations.

“The allegations are false, but they must be fully investigated to reveal the truth,” he said, adding that he had voluntarily provided information and correspondence to investigators and “took ‘other measures to prove my truthfulness and innocence “.

Cadieu also said he asked Eyre to consider selecting someone else to serve as the Commander of the Canadian Army, a post which has been held on an interim basis by a series of senior officers. since Eyre took office as interim defense chief in February.

“I know that these false claims will, as expected, create doubts about my ability to lead in this environment,” Cadieu said.

“While I have dedicated every day of my career to making my colleagues feel respected and included, the soldiers of the Canadian Army deserve a leader who is unencumbered by allegations and can lead at this time. important where culture changes, tackles systemic misconduct and prepares tactical teams for operations. must remain the priority effort.

Cadieu, who could not be reached immediately for further comment on Wednesday, is the latest senior commander to be investigated by military police.

The allegations of sexual misconduct in particular forced the military to consider its inability to deal with inappropriate behavior. They also drew criticism over how the Liberal government has handled the issue and called for more external oversight of the military.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.